- Every fifteen minutes a baby is born with a CHD.
- Congenital heart defects are America’s #1 birth defect. Nearly one of every 125 babies is born with a CHD (almost 1% of all children born each year!).
- Congenital heart defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths. 1 in 3 children who die from a birth defect have a congenital heart defect.
- This year almost 40,000 babies will be born with a congenital heart defect.
- From 1993 to 2003 death rates for congenital heart defects have declined by 31% due to advances made through research!
- There is not yet a preventative cure for any type of congenital heart defect.
- Of every dollar the government spends on medical funding, only a fraction of a penny is directed toward congenital heart defect research.