Wow! Where has it gone? On Monday, April 4th, my little girl will be six months old. Obviously, words cannot even begin to express how much these six precious months have meant to me. Emma is such a sweet blessing from above and fills each and every day with a little bit of sunshine. My “sister girl, punkin head, sweet pea, and princess” has taught me more about unconditional love than I could’ve ever imagined. On May 19th of last year, I found out that the sweet little girl that I was carrying had a major heart defect. My life changed at that exact moment. The unknowns and what ifs were terrifying. Little did I really know.
The doctors told me that Emma would have about a 20% chance of survival. 20%, is not a big number. I was scared, scared that this precious being that I was trying so hard to take care of would not make it. I did not want the normal things like baby showers, big shopping events to buy fun things, etc. I could not bear the thought of having a room full of things that I might possibly come home to without the baby that would enjoy it all. My wonderful family, friends, and husband were always encouraging me to try to enjoy the pregnancy, but to be honest, that was hard!
There were times when I became bitter. Bitter toward the brutally honest doctors, fellow peers who were having perfectly healthy babies, and bitter at people around who just didn’t get it. I despised myself for feeling this way, but I was broken, disheartened, and at times feeling VERY alone. However, in my darkest moments I had(have) a God who helped me out and got me through. He also put an AMAZING man in my life who I am honored to call my best friend and husband. Scott was there to be my comforter when I needed it the most, to let me cry, scream, and question. He was also a big help when it came to late night snow cone, ice cream, and ICEE cravings! J I also have the BEST MOM EVER! My mom came to all of Emma’s appointments and learned about EVERYTHING right along with Scott and I. She stayed with us for three weeks after Emma was born and has been my go-to-person and I am honored to call her my best friend. She is the person that I try to emulate as a mom! I pray that I can be half the mom to Emma that she has been to me! There are so many other people in my life who have been so supportive! I hope you know who you are and how much you have helped me along the way.
Emma has come a LONG way in the six months that she has been here with us. Below is a short synopsis of some of those happenings. Our little girl only has HALF A HEART but is TWICE the FIGHTER! She has THE BEST COACH in HER CORNER! We give GOD the glory for bringing our little girl through SO MANY low points!
In six months Emma has:
1. Had 3 Cath Lab Procedures
2. Had 2 Open Heart Surgeries
3. Had ECMO brought up twice
4. Had the Crash Cart in the room 4 or 5 times
5. Been Intubated for 5 months, but NOT NOW!!!!
6. Had almost daily X-Rays
7. Been in the Cardiac ICU for 6 months!
8. Been poked and assessed ALOT
9. Seen a doctor or two or three or four…..a day!
10. Had more than a dozen chest tubes
11. Had numerous renal ultrasounds and heart echos
12. Has had her first smile, laugh, kisses, hugs, etc.
13. Has proven over and over again that she is a FIGHTER!!!!
14. Has been listed for a NEW HEART!
15. Has been extubated for 4 weeks!
16. Has brought together many people in prayer!
17. Has gained a lot of physical strength
18. Has flat lined and come back twice
19. Has won over the hearts of many doctors, nurses, and therapists
20. Has gained a lot weight and grown when at a point she was “failing to thrive”
21. Despite all the poking and prodding, is AN EXTREMELY Happy and Easy-Going baby.
22. Has changed our lives in unimaginable ways
We are so blessed to have such caring, loving, supportive, and encouraging people in our lives. We have been HONORED to share the last six months with you and we pray that we get to share MANY, MANY more with you! Happy HALF Birthday to our Beautiful Little Princess! Keep on fighting! God is Good! All the Time! God is Good!
Enjoy a little walk down memory lane……
|October 4th: The Day Emma arrived!|
|Post Norwood (October)|
|Growing in her "Grow Box" (November)|
|First Christmas Photo (December)|
|A New Year brings "Hope for a New Heart" (January)|
|Our Little Girl is getting CHUNKY (February)|
|Look who is EXTUBATED!! (March)|
|Happy Baby! (April)|
Emma's Mommy (Sarah)