Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mommy Time


Last night at about nine, I got to really meet my precious little girl for the first time.  I walked into the room and just cried tears of joy at the beautiful little blessing God gave me.  She is hooked up to many monitors and medications, but they are all working together along with the wonderful doctors and nurses, to take care of Emma.  The nurse on duty last night asked if I wanted to help give Emma a bath.  Of course, I was more than happy to oblige.  I got to help bathe Emma, put on baby lotion, and comb her head full of hair.  It was so good to see her all clean and peaceful.  She opened her eyes a few times which just melted my heart.  I spent about two precious hours with her last night.  It made this Mommy's day!  Up until that point, I had just seen her in pictures/video/and in person for 5 seconds post birth.


Today is a big day for Emma!  She will be having a 4 hour surgery to reduce some of the blood flow to the lungs.  This is very ironic since they did a surgical procedure yesterday to make more blood flow to the lungs.  The blood flow amount is crucial in any baby, but especially in an HLHS baby.  This procedure should be very helpful in the next big surgery (the Norwood).  Please keep Emma in your prayers today as well as the doctors performing the surgery.

Specific Prayer Requests:
1. The surgeon will be able to put the bands on successfully.
2. Her lungs will be nice and strong
3. The rest of her testing, including her brain look good or at least manageable
4. Emma will easily stabilize post surgery and will be ready to conquer the next step.

Thank you for the continued prayers and support!
Emma's Mommy (Sarah)

13 comments:

  1. I am crying tears for you as I experience your joy through your writings. Yesterday, I cried for you all day as I was remembering the births of my children and the joy I experienced afterward in the cuddling and holding of them. I am so thankful that you were able to experience some things with Emma and you are all in my prayers today continually. God bless you! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing you and Scott are during this trying time. You are setting an example of God's grace and mercy. God created that precious baby and will see you through this. Thousands are praying each and every day. Possibly even each moment of each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you, Sarah! She looks just precious in all the pictures! Prayers continue! Love you all!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you guys so much! Thanks for keeping us posted through the blog, we are thinking of you & praying for you constantly. It is hard not to hit the road your way, but we know you have all the help you need there. We are there in spirit though. Emma is such a beautiful blessing, and we knew she would be! Love, Jonathan & Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe...just reading this made me tear up. I am so glad you got to spend that time with Emma. What a special bonding moment. She is adorable! you guys did good. Thanks for keeping us all posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are making my eyes water. I feel so happy for you right now. Thank God for love. We will keep praying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Father God we lift up baby Emma to you in prayer. We ask for healing of her heart and lungs. We ask that everything in this surgery go better then planned. We ask that you bless each and everyone who will be involved in her surgery and care. We ask that you annoint these surgeons with supernatural knowledge that can only come from you Jesus. Father we know you are Mighy to save and we are claiming that by faith. Fahter we ask for peace beyond understanding on mommy and daddy, we ask that you continue to heal Sarah from her surgery and you help her to heal fast.
    we pray in Jesus's name because there is power in his name and we BELIVE there is POWER in his name Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an emotional experience! I am so excited that you got to help give Emma a bath last night. She is so beautiful. You are all continually in our prayers and we especially be praying for the specific requests above. Praying that you continue to heal and get better as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sarah, I thought that I had posted something this morning but you know me...Ms DUH..any way..I cried when I read your blog this morning and could just picture your tears of joy. I remember when I held Ashlee for the first time, she was 4 days old and they let me sit in the rocker, with all her hookups, and sing to her. Mostly I cried, it was a wondeful feeling and I felt so blessed just as you did. Emma and your family are in our prayers and thoughts every second and every hour. We love you all,Denise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying that the surgeon will be able to put the bands on successfully. Giving thanks that her lungs are nice and strong! Believing in prayer that the rest of her testing, including her brain look good or at least manageable. Thanking the Heavenly Father that Emma will easily stabilize post surgery and will be ready to conquer the next step. I've never met y'all but I'm praying and believing with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy that you got to spend time with your little princess. God is so good...I cannot say that enough! This post brought tears to my eyes as I remember the first time I walked into the NICU to visit my daughter after she was helicoptered to OKC soon after her birth. It can be a scary place, but the nurses and the doctors are blessed with gifts from God. They will not only take care of little Emma, but you as well. They are a precious support in such a hard time. I pray that this portion of your journey will not be long and you can hold her in your arms soon. I am so thankful that you had your mommy time with her...you needed that...and she needed that as well. I just wanted you to know you are in our thoughts and our prayers night and day. Thank you for sharing your miracle with us! We love all of you! Kim Brown

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emma's eyes are so curious, it's like she is wondering what is going on and why all the fuss. Working with newborns, you learn that they have such personalities from the beginning. I can tell this one is a fighter! She is precious, congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete