Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Not off the Vent Yet

As we have been told from the beginning, Emma will do this in her time and in her way.  This was further proven today when they did a trial to see if she was ready to come off of the vent.  Emma did great for about and hour and a half and then she got tired.  When she got tired, she started breathing hard and her left lower lung collapsed, so the flipped the vent back on.   What does this mean?  Well, the good thing is that they did not extubate Emma.  They decided to see if she could do it on her own, and clearly found out that she is not quite ready.  However, during this process, they noticed an air leak around the vent.  They are going to need to change this tube out so that it doesn't leak.  This tube change will either happen tonight or tomorrow.  


Specific Prayer Requests:


Please pray that Emma's lungs will get stronger.
Pray that Emma gains weight and stamina.
Pray that the tube change will be successful and uneventful.
Pray that the tube change will not be stressful on Emma or her heart.
Pray that Emma's infection continues to improve.




Psalm 94:19 
In the multitude of my anxieties within me,Your comforts delight my soul.





We are putting this in God's loving, caring, and comforting hand.  Thank you again for your love, support, and prayers.




Sarah (Emma's Mommy)

7 comments:

  1. I just learned about your precious Emma from Sugar's blog. Your pics are beautiful! Emma is beautiful! I am a heart grandmother and I am shedding some tears as I read your story and feel your pain and your rejoicing at small steps. My granddaughter, who has HRHS and a few other defects, is now 31/2 and has completed the standard three corrective surgeries. The "heart world" was unknown to us until Maggie was born, but now we know that we are forever part of it. Although we do not understand "why?", we do know God doesn't make mistakes and we rejoice each day with Maggie. Your family is in my prayers.
    Sometime you might enjoy browsing my daughter's very encouraging blog about Maggie: happyheartsblogspot.com
    Jane Holestine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just learned of your precious Emma from Sugar's blog. Your pictures are beautiful! Emma is beautiful! I am a heart grandmother with wet eyes as I read Emma's story. My heart aches for you as you face the ups and downs of having a child with a severe heart defect. My heart also rejoices with you because I know you have the peace of Jesus Christ to help you face each day. My granddaughter, Maggie, was born 31/2 years ago with HRHS plus a few other heart defects. She has completed the three standard corrective surgeries and is doing fantastically. As she plays with her siblings, friends, and cousins, we sometimes forget for a while that she is a heart kiddo, but the sight of her "zipper" on her chest brings us back to reality. Before Maggie we knew nothing of the heart world, but now are forever part of it. I have been so inspired by the courage of the heart kiddos and their parents. We rejoice each day at God's grace and goodness as watch our beautiful Maggie grow in His grace and strength.
    Scott, Sarah, and Emma, you are in my prayers. Sometime later you might enjoy browsing my daughter's blog about Maggie's journey: happyheartsblogspot.com
    Blessings,
    Jane Holestine

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend directed me to your site. My oldest had heart surgery to repair Trunchus Arteriosus 10 years ago at Children's. Reading your updates and prayer requests brings back lots of memories.

    Know that I am praying for your sweet baby, you and your families. Your faith is so encouraging to me and I'm sure to many others. This blog is a great ministry that the Lord will use.

    Kerith Leffler

    ReplyDelete
  4. We continue to pray for your sweet Emma. The time is getting closer and closer for her to be able to breathe on her own. As she gets stronger, the time will come. Just know that the prayers are still coming. Love to you all. Kendall and Darla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott and Sarah, I am so glad that the doctors are letting Emma help to decide about her own pacing. This little warrior princess does fight hard against the enemies - bad tubes, collapsed lung, feeding issues, etc., and she continues to put on those boxing gloves and "KO" (knock out) these enemies one at a time! ("Half a heart, twice the fighter!")

    She is so precious in Sugar's photos, and so are you two. What a blessing to have such an organization to donate time/photos to those in the ICU!

    We never know how or when God will use us to stand as an example to the world, but He is indeed using all three of you - Emma's perseverence, and your faith - to remind tens of thousands of Emma's followers what really is important.

    Every "Emma Blog" helps us to remember that "TODAY is a GIFT; that's why they call it 'the present'"!

    May HIS comfort be always with you three as you fight the good fight there in that tiny CICU room!

    Love,
    Mom/Nana Jana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you everyday!!! So thankful you finally got to hold her. We are praying for her little lungs to improve. Love you guys, The Bussey's

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am praying for you and sweet Emma. She will come off the vent and I am praying her heart and lungs will be strong soon.

    ReplyDelete